STA, 22 November 2018 - The Nazi-themed posters in Velenje that upset the public this summer were put up by a minor with no ties to any extremist groups, police investigation has shown. He faces charges for public incitement of hatred and intolerance.
During the investigation, police found out that the suspect had acted alone and that his motive was not related to extremist groups.
According to the Celje police department, the juvenile put up six posters with Nazi content around Velenje in June.
Earlier: Nazi posters appear in Velenje
The posters said "For Family, For Country, For the Race", with the final parole followed by a swastika. At the bottom was a link to Discord, an application specialising voice-over communication for gamers.
The paroles were written in Gothic script and the posters depicted a soldier wearing an iron cross, one of the main symbols of the Third Reich.
The incident triggered a strong reaction from the public as well as top political officials. The then Prime Minister Miro Cerar called for a "decisive NO to all forms of hate speech encouraging intolerance and hatred among people" and President Borut Pahor spoke of a "notorious violation of rules and the law."
The Celje police had the posters examined at the national forensic lab and searched the home of the suspect from Celje. They seized his computer, mobile phones and other electronic devices.
The evidence collected suggested, that he got the Nazi symbols from the internet and made the six controversial posters on his computer.
STA, 19 November 2018 - Bojan Šrot, who has been unrivalled as the mayor of Celje for 20 years, won another term on Sunday, sweeping the field in the first round with 56% after more than half of the votes counted. Turnout was 35%.
"The result is perhaps slightly more modest than we're used to, but given that the seven mayoral candidates are a record figure in the last 20 years, I'm very happy," Šrot told TV Slovenija.
The 58-year-old, who only had to do a run-off during his first run for mayor, rejected those claiming he has been in power for too long, saying that this was actually "an advantage, as experience helps a lot when being mayor".
"I still have like two terms worth of energy and plans left in me," said the mayor, who fielded his own list for the city council this time after he had previously ran as part of the People's Party (SLS), which he led between 2007 and 2009.
Meanwhile, Sandi Sendelbah, a former municipal accountant who was recently sacked by the mayor, proved Šrot's most serious challenger. He has 18% after more than half of votes have been counted
Sendelbah ran alone as his list Open Celje was rejected for administrative reasons.
A first-round win by Šrot had not been a forgone conclusion, with polls carried out among the residents suggesting that many people indeed want change.
In October, half of respondents said it was time for a change at the helm of the municipality, and only 20% said the current team should stay on.
All our Celje stories are here
STA, 16 November 2018 - Standing halfway between Ljubljana and Maribor, Celje has been facing environmental issues and a drain of young people, having recently lost the title of the third-largest city in Slovenia. But everything suggests that there will be no change after local elections as long-time Mayor Bojan Šrot is virtually unrivalled.
Šrot, who has been at the helm of the city administration for two decades, is heading for the first local elections with his own list, after leaving two years ago the People's Party (SLS), which he led between 2007 and 2009.
No major party has managed to put forward a candidate in the last 20 years who could seriously rival Šrot, who still enjoys strong support despite lingering criticism and is likely to carry the vote in the first round.
Šrot has established his own party, the Celje Mayor's List, which has gained nearly 400 members since its inception in late August. He says the party is positioned strictly in the centre and "quite un-ideological", focusing on local issues.
His competition this time includes Sandi Sendelbah, a former municipal accountant who was actually fired recently by the mayor, and who will run alone in the elections as his list Open Celje has been rejected for administrative reasons.
Supported by a group of voters, Sendelbah strives for what he calls democratisation of the local government, and also stresses measures to address environmental issues and measures to keep young people from leaving the city.
Related: All our local elections coverage is here
The Democrats (SDS), the largest parliamentary party, are running with music teacher Matjaž Železnik, 61, who would like to revive the city centre, construct a new retirement home and introduce measures to encourage the young to stay in the city.
The incumbent is also facing Marko Zidanšek, the former party colleague who resigned as the SLS president after the party narrowly missed the threshold to enter parliament in the June general election.
Zidanšek, who heads a waste management company, sees the creation of new jobs with high added value as a priority, as this would make the city attractive to young people and highly-qualified workforce.
The Left has put forward librarian Mateja Žvižej, who if elected would discuss with representatives of local communities ways to introduce participatory budget at the micro level.
She believes that Celje needs to attract companies which employs highly educated staff with high added value and that every elderly citizen need to be provided with timely and quality home assistance.
Also in the running are Branko Verdev, the oldest candidate, aged 63, who runs with support from the Social Democrats (SD) and Matevž Vuga, the youngest candidate (31), who has been put forward by the Modern Centre Party (SMC).
Polls carried out among the residents suggest that many people indeed want change. In October, half of respondents said it was time for a change at the helm of the municipality, and only 20% said the current team should stay on.
But on the other hand, only a quarter are satisfied with the competition Šrot is facing in the elections, and more than half believe that he is facing mediocre competition.
The most recent survey shows Šrot getting more than 50% of support of the decided respondents and other candidates failing to get more than 5%. Šrot is also projected to win the most seats in the city council with his own list.
But whoever wins on Sunday following a lacklustre election campaign will have to address the issue of young people leaving the city, as they see not much opportunity there, and the environmental burden brought by the old site of chemical company Cinkarna Celje.
Many young people who leave Celje to study in Ljubljana or elsewhere do not return to their home town, disappointed by a job market that has been weak despite efforts by the authorities to create an innovative business environment.
The city is also in dire need of a bypass road as cargo vehicles still practically drive through the city centre, which is in turn seeing a lack of activity and events as many shops, cafes and restaurants are being closed.
All our stories about Celje are here
The 2018 ITTF Para World Championships started today in Laško-Celje. The four-day competition will see athletes competing for 21 different singles titles.
STA, 24 September 2018 - Scottish sawmiller BSW Timber expects to have all permits for the construction of a EUR 41m facility in Gomilsko near Celje in the coming months and launch production in 2020 as scheduled. The company's commercial director Alex Brownlie told the STA the chance of administrative delays had been factored into the original timeline.
STA, 11 September 2018 - President Borut Pahor called for political stability and a social pact in Slovenia, as he opened the 51st International Trade Fair in Celje on Tuesday, along with some other guests, including Serbian Deputy Prime Minister Rasim Ljajić.
STA, 3 September 2018 - Concluding a nine-month investigation, the Celje police arrested six Slovenians last week suspected of running a prostitution ring.
STA, 31 August 2018 - Novo Mesto police have detained a Slovenian couple who was abusing foreign women aged 20 to 46 for prostitution in the areas of Novo Mesto, in the south-east, and Celje, central Slovenia, for at least 14 years.