Film Under the Stars Returns to Ljubljana Castle, 6 July to 8 Aug (Trailers)
If you’ve been missing that communal movie-going experience, and are still wary of entering a theatre, then rejoice at the return of Film Under the Stars (Film pod zvezdami), the annual celebration of al fresco cinema that takes place at 21:30 in the courtyard of Ljubljana Castle with a programme of chosen by Kinodvor, arguably the best cinema in the country, only rivalled by Kinoteka, the revival house one street over. It thus presents the opportunity to see the best and biggest names of of the last 12 months of art house cinema in beautiful surroundings, at low cost, and in the company of others
A PDF of the schedule can be found at the end of this post, but before then let’s take a look at the trailers for the first few days and then selected others, as there’s really too many post here. Note that all film are screened in their original language with English subtitles, while English-language films are screened with Slovenian subtitles only.
Maiden - Thursday, 16. 07. 2020 / 21:30
Parasite - Friday, 17. 07. 2020 / 21:30
Once Upon a Time … in Hollywood - Saturday, 18. 07. 2020 / 21:30
Pain and Glory – Sunday, 19. 07. 2020 / 21:30
Stories From The Chestnut Woods – Monday 20. 07. 2020 / 21:30
A Rainy Day in New York – Tuesday 21. 07 . 2020 / 21:30
Beyond that you can enjoy: Pinocchio, Portrait de la jeune fille en feu (Portrait of a Lady on Fire), Marianne & Leonard – Words Of Love, Knives Out, Judy, 1917, Medena zemja (Honeyland), Lara, Ema, La vérité (The Truth), Joker, Where'd You Go Bernadette , J'accuse (An Officer and a Spy), Little Women, The Lighthouse, A Hidden Life, Les Misérables, and Hope Gap.
Tickets are 5 euros for regular screenings, 6 for premieres and “special screenings”. You can buy tickets at the Castle (including at the funicular), Kinodvor, Petrol gas stations and Kompas tourist offices
In case of bad weather the screenings will be cancelled, as announced at kindovor.org and ljubljanskigrad.si by 19:00 on the day of the scheduled screening, with rescheduled screenings taking place the following evening at 21:30 at Kinodvor.
Tickets to the cancelled screening may be exchanged for:
- tickets to the film’s additional screening: available at the Kinodvor box office until seating capacities are reached (the number of seats at Kinodvor is considerably lower than at the castle courtyard);
- tickets to any other screening of Film Under the Stars: available at the box offices of the Ljubljana Castle Entrance Pavilion and the Lower Funicular Station (tickets to the cancelled Avant Premiere or Special Screening can only be exchanged for tickets to another Avant Premiere or Special Screening);
- cash refund: to be collected from the place of purchase by 24 August 2020. After this date tickets cannot be refunded. Tickets purchased through online sales can be exchanged for the purchase price at the cash desk of the Entrance Pavilion at the Ljubljana Castle and at the lower funicular railway station.
The PDF of the full programme is here, and if you plan on going then please follow the instructions and recommendations below to help protect the wellbeing of all visitors.
- Only go to the Film Under the Stars if you are healthy and show no symptoms of illness.
- Enter the event venue individually and disinfect your hands when entering.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose and mouth and follow the rules of hand hygiene, coughing and sneezing.
- Always keep a safe distance from each other (at least 1.5 m).
- Before entering the enclosed spaces of Ljubljana Castle, put on a mask.
- The number of visitors is limited and the seats are set up so as to keep a distance of 1.5 m between spectators, which is why you do not need to wear a protective mask during the screening.
- There is a seating plan. Observe it and do not move the chairs.
- Follow the instructions given by the ticketing agents.
- Turn off your mobile phone and other electronic devices that emit sound and/or light before the screening starts.
- Contactless (i.e. card) payment is recommended.
Animals are welcome in the Film Under the Stars as long as they do not disturb the screening